A mobile workshop, seminar, performance, between Berlin and Luneberg August 14, 2013
Leaving from Berlin Haupbahnhof, concluding at the Post Media Lab in Luneberg
Organized by micha cárdenas with support from the Post Media Lab
Featuring the work of: Zach Blas / micha cárdenas / Tikul / NM Rosen / Pinar Yoldas
We are safe when we walk.
We have walked for generations.
Your colonial regimes want to stop us, name and identify us.
We won’t be stopped by your policing violence,
We won’t be named by your regimes.
From Oscar Grant, a black man killed in San Francisco at a public train station by private train police, to the 2012 sexual assault of a woman by a group of men on bus in New Delhi, India, repeatedly the promises of urban mobility are belied by the violence that is used to police spaces of transit and the ways that access to mobility is regulated. This performance / seminar will consider the themes of mobility, violence and access, using the actual space of transit, the train and train station, as the space of performance, discussion and presentation. The performance is part of the project Local Autonomy Networks, by micha cárdenas, which works towards networks of community based responses to violence through performance and dance. This part of the series will consider how trans-local networks of safety can be imagined within spaces which are intensely regulated yet fall between the lines of local regulations. Engaging with the Post Media Lab’s theme of Organization After Networks, this performance will consider how communities can organize for safety after their lives have been shaped by inter-urban and transnational transportation networks.
Themes to be addressed:
- The cloud versus a home / colonial dream of mobility versus de-colonial construction
- Safety in Numbers / Gendering of Public Space
- The Itinerant scholar / the safe itinerant / the itinerant artist
- The Insecurity of mobility / gender/sexuality/race in transit and across borders
- From passport checks to biometric mobility controls
- Ticketing systems / E-Ticketing
- The price of speed / The cost of easy border crossing
- Mobile Public Space / From Public to Corporate Transit / Public Interstitial Space
- The promise of mobility / Disability and access
Inspired by The Political Equator my daily sense of danger and my daily experiences of harassment and violence (micha cárdenas)
To join, use the following itinerary for DB
Halt Datum Zeit Gleis Fahrt Reservierung
Berlin Hbf (tief) 14.08. ab 12:16 7
Hamburg Hbf 14.08. an 13:57 5a/b, ICE 1612
Hamburg Hbf 14.08. ab 14:53 14a/b
Lüneburg 14.08. an 15:25 1, ICE 681